Saturday, January 7, 2017

Recipe Weekend: Red Beans, Rice, & Sausage Soup

I have a number of friends who are actively working on trying to lose weight - in some cases, near triple-digit quantities. I'm still the same skinny guy I was when I graduated from high school, but I've promised to lend them some support by posting a health-conscious recipe on a weekly basis. Whether they cook it or not is up to them, but it'll be there.

I'm starting with one that's a go-to in my household if I'm thinking about having company over for dinner. My parents have taken the recipe from me, and make it regularly as well.

Red Beans, Rice, and Sausage Soup

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large celery stalk, diced
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (substitute green bell pepper if preferred)
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 16-oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 tsp (generous) thyme leaves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/3 c. long-grain white rice
  • 6 oz turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-in slices.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium to medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and bell pepper until onion begins to brown - usually 5-8 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring soup to a boil over high heat. Lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, flavors are well blended, and soup has thickened slightly - roughly 30 minutes.

If 8 servings, 240 calories per serving.

No comments: