I'm starting with one that's a go-to in my household if I'm thinking about having company over for dinner. My parents have taken the recipe from me, and make it regularly as well.
Red Beans, Rice, and Sausage Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (substitute green bell pepper if preferred)
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 16-oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp (generous) thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 c. long-grain white rice
- 6 oz turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-in slices.
If 8 servings, 240 calories per serving.