Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On a Night In the Lonesome October: An Upcoming Blog Carnival

Inspired in large measure by the phenomenal success of T.W. Wombat's "Winter Is Coming" blog carnival, I'm going to see just how crazy I can go in the next month and try organizing one of my own. I've snagged the theme for this one from the title of a phenomenal book by the late Roger Zelazny, which he himself snagged from Edgar Allan Poe's "Ulalume". For those not familiar with the book, I will encourage you to run-don't-walk to your local library and check out a copy. I will otherwise note only that it was born out of a wager in which somebody bet Zelazny that he could not write a book in which the audience would root for a certain infamous Jack of the late Victorian era. (Image below the cut courtesy of the fabulous Mark Meredith.)




 What is it?
Like WiC, this will be a week-long blog carnival that will begin on Tuesday, October 24 and end on Halloween.

What am I looking for?
I'd like to people to contribute RPG-friendly material, for their system of choice, inspired by the carnival title, or any of the source material linked above. If it's scary, or campy-scary, or has tentacles and an unpronounceable name, I want it. If you're want to write about how to pull in any of the tropes used in the book (Warning: TVTropes link!), I want to see it. The doors are wide, wide open. I'll publish guest posts, or link to posts on your own blogs. While I don't expect that I've got any right to expect the amount of participation or creativity that appeared for Winter is Coming, I'd love it if that happened.

What do I need to do?
If you're interested, post a comment here or let me know on Twitter (@jffdougan) or via email (my twitter handle at comcast + net). I'm looking to publish guest posts here in a Man's Brain-Attic for the week of 24-31 October , so let me know if you're between blogs or interested in publishing outside of your normal venue. I'll be happy to host your work and not take a lick of credit for it, and you can say you're published on multiple blogs.

If you want to publish something on your blog, I'll maintain a list of links in the Night in the Lonesome October cover post to be published on 24 October . If you email me I'll send you the link when it's available.

If you're involved, all I ask is that you link back to at least the cover post and send the link in a shout out on Twitter. You're welcome to cross-post, comment, retweet and whatever else you want to do to promote yourself and your fellow blogosphere denizens.

13 comments:

Adam Page (@blindgeekuk) said...

Awesome, put me down for at least 2 guest articles (shadow magic themes, and warlocks with bite), and i'll try and sort some more out in the next week or so.

Dennis N. Santana said...

Ohhhhh horror.

I might just write another scenario-thing then.

David Flor said...

As much as I'd like to, don't think I'll have the time to submit anything. But you never know...

Jim White said...

Wicked. Literally.

Unknown said...

Wombat, does this mean you'll be contributing something? :)

Jim White said...

Let's stick with "probably" for now. I've got 6 weeks to clean up 4 systems' worth of bad data before we go live with a new system at work, but I'll see if I can tap the Horror of the Project Deathmarch and submit something.

Ben said...

Hey Jeff,

I definately want to participate but due to a family thing my time is super, super limited.

How about I take my already out there zombie apocalypse expansion for Pathfinder and give it away for free on one of the carnival days to promote this? Would that work?

-Ben

Unknown said...

TW Wombat: I understand. Hope you get to chip in.

Ben: Is it something already available at RPGNow (or equivalent)? I'd still happily take the signal boost for it, and would be thrilled if you managed to find the time to add something new, too.

Jonathan Jacobs said...

Hey all - sounds like fun! I've gone ahead and added a link to here from the RPG Blog Carnival Archive over at Nevermet Press. Looking forward to a super turnout!

Craig Oxbrow said...

Remind me to do this when it rolls around next week. (Hmm, the general blog or the Doctor Who one...)

Brent said...

Just to make sure I'm on the record: I plan to submit a Risus-based adventure, The House of Doctor Chamberlain.

ScorpiusDM said...

Well, looks like my article went up today. The Charmed Hero at StufferShack: http://stuffershack.com/portfolio-item/charmed-hero/

Ben said...

Hey man,

Couldn't find your email address, but the blog post is up!

http://trollitc.com/2011/10/a-night-in-lonesome-october-free-zombies-for-you-this-halloween/